I made two more Vogue 9109 tank tops and I love them both!
The first used a satin weave French cotton from Elliott Bermann Textiles. Light like a lawn, but not so crisp as a shirting. It was easy to sew and holds the shape very well. I opted to finish the binding and CB facings with a prick stitch. Instead of using a hook and eye for the back closure as directed in the pattern, I added a button and a thread loop. It's much more secure. I used a black nylon button twist for both the prick stitching and the thread loop. It's a real PIA to work with, always unraveling and getting knotted, but in the end it gives an undeniably nice finish.
For my 3rd version, I decided to cut into some deliciously soft silk crepe I've been hording. It's a single yard of 42 inch wide border print from Haberman's. I only bought a yard because it was a something like a ridiculous $25/yard, but after washing and drying, that meant I had very little to work with. My original vision was to have the cream band lay horizontally across the bottom, but I didn't have nearly enough fabric for that. In the end, I am so happy with the result. I like the vertical placement much better.
For this last one, I stuck with the button closure, as I liked it so well on the print version. However, to speed up completion, I machine top stitched all the bias binding and CB facings. This blouse is so pretty. It's hard to capture in photos. The fabric has the drape and weight of a charmeuse. It's soft like a suede. It's light as a feather to wear, and flutters so gracefully in the breeze and skims my waistline without showing any lumps or bumps. Perfection!
I'm not done with this pattern yet. I've worked out a mini dress muslin and have at least 2 of those planned to come out in June.
Join the conversation at our Group's Facebook Page, Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests, and share what you are working on this week!