Seasonal Sew Wardrobe is officially underway as of today!
We've all got lots of work to do over the next four months, and if you are anything like me, you want to do it all right now! I'm going to try to keep myself organized and on track by taking each week as it comes and figuring out what I want to accomplish.
**I think it's important that I stop here for a second and say something very clearly: It's OK if you are in a different place than I am. Maybe you are still planning. Maybe you just discovered us. Maybe you need to think about one piece at a time. Maybe you can't start just yet. Don't worry! The whole idea is that we can each move at our own pace, so please do that. You can always come back and re-read the posts when you are ready. There will also be a document with all the post links in the files section of our Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests Facebook Group Page.
Over the weekend, I did a little prep work:
- Printed and traced my pattern pieces for the Fari Coat and also cut out a muslin in my size based on the pattern's size chart.
- Adjusted my nearly fitted Liana Stretch Jeans pattern. I wanted to make a couple tweaks after wearing the December pair. I moved the zipper stop point down and inch to give me a longer zipper opening and I reduced my horizontal butt wedge by 1/8 of an inch to eliminate a slight ripple.
- I cut out 2 pairs of Liana Stretch Jeans based on my altered pattern. I was going to cut a third, but I'm having fabric issues with that grey one below.
|Liana Stretch Jeans fabric|
Here are my plans for this week:
- Baste together my Fari Coat muslin and determine any fit changes. This is an "oversized" style coat, so I'm only going to worry about 3 specific proportions on my frame:
- Placement of shoulder seams
- Length of coat
- Sleeve length
- Begin construction of my jeans. I've made this pattern twice and am comfortable that I can make them quickly (10 days or so if I don't rush). However, I plan on constructing 2 pairs at the same time. I've never done that before, so I don't know how fast I'll be able to go. For now, I will set a very low pressure goal and see how it goes. I'm going to deviate from the pattern directions in order to group as much "like thread" sewing together as possible. ie, all of the serging I can do before pressing, All of the top stitching I can do before changing back to sewing thread, ect.
- Complete construction and attach back pockets.
- Construct and attach coin pockets
- Attach front pocket facing to front pieces
- Top stitch all completed work
- Finish constructing front pockets