Skip to main content

Coat Cravings! Just A Little Inspiration For You

How many Coat projects have you dreamed up, Crystal? Um, I've lost count. Every time I see a coat I think, "I should make that for myself!"
How many have you started to collect supplies for? 6. I might be missing a lining here or proper interfacing there, but I have the makings for 6 coats in my stash.
How many have you actually completed? 3. I have finished 3 coats in my adult sewing life. I still wear each of them regularly. 

What are your answers????

Look, I'm never short on Coat inspiration, so I thought I'd share links to several patterns that illustrate just the sort of project that fits the Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests Group Coat Cravings challenge. 

Do you sew for the man in your life? Or maybe you ARE the man in your life. (I think there are a few guys floating around our group.)


 Gold Stream Peacoat by Thread Theory*

This coat is lined and comes with tons of detail options like epaulets, removable hood, interior pockets and sleeve tabs. Not only is there a Pintrest board showcasing several finished versions of this coat, but Thread Theory has a full series of blog posts that walk you through the construction. Those posts start HERE
Goldstream Peacoat - Thread Theory - 2


Albion by Colette Patterns

Lined in flannel with a hood and various pockets, Version 1 of this duffle-style coat is a great option for our challenge. 
Albion

Maybe you prefer sewing for the little ones in your life? I'm always impressed by group members who do all those details on a small scale.


Polar Pal Parka by Peek-a-Boo Patterns*

Not only do you have some adorable color/print blocking options on this winter coat, but it comes with details for keeping the snow out when your little one wants to make snow angels. (Um, they also have a coordinating snow pants pattern!)


Maybe you don't quite need to worry about snow where you are. A duffle-style coat can be built for cool fall/spring days or cold winter mornings at the bus stop. It really all depends on the materials you choose. The pattern talks about how to add interlining for additional warmth.


Then there's me. I sew for myself and myself alone. And OH the coat choices there are....


Fari Coat by Ralph Pink*

I am making this coat. (I'll share my creative details in an upcoming post). Fully lined cocoon shape with welt pockets, cropped pleated raglan sleeves with tabs and a super-cool stand up collar. What's not to admire? If you grab a copy, you can sew along with me!


Some of our other Facebook Group Sponsors have several coat patterns that would be great for this Sewalong:


Pauline Alice* 


Nino Jacket


Quart Coat (Please won't someone make this? Please??)

Named*



Isla Trench Coat




Andy Coat

Waffle Patterns*


Lemon Pie Cape Coat


Yuzu Raglan Coat


Marmalade Gathered Jacket (guys, the back has gathers too!)



*Thread Theory, Ralph Pink, Peek-a-Boo Patterns, Waffle Patterns, Named and Pauline Alice  are some of the Pattern Makers who actively support our Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests Facebook group. You can, of course, choose any pattern you like but if you do happen to grab something from one of our generous sponsors, please be sure to let them know how much you appreciate their support of our group. Without our sponsors, we would have no prizes to give away!


Which Coat are YOU going to sew? 

Share your inspiration and project plans with us in our Group's Facebook Page, Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests, and share what you are working on this week!


Have you missed one of the Coat Cravings posts? Find all the links HERE.

Comments

  1. I'm with you - that Quart coat is the bomb. I would make it, but I only need one warm coat here (and I have several), so I'm making a raincoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your raincoat will be awesome! One day I'll make that coat.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Announcing Seasonal Sew Wardrobe 2017: Launch and FAQ

**Updates and Clarifications In RED**
I have a new challenge for you... Are you game?
I want to know: How deep does your stash go?


Since we launched the Seasonal Sew Wardrobe Challenges last January, I've been amazed at the imagination and creations of our Sew Alongs & Sewing Contest Members. We are launching our next session on January 1, 2017. This time around there are some twists and turns designed to pull you out of your comfort zone just a little bit, and encourage you to push yourself. 
The FocusJanuary is a time of renewal, goal setting and getting back on track after a season of indulgence. I have binged and splurged far more than my fair share, and that's why it was decided this season's SSW will focus on using what we already have
How many patterns have you grabbed only for them to be buried by the next inspiration to come along?
How many yards of fabric have you purchased for that great project idea only to find a year (or two, or ten) later that it's still…

Plans and Best Intentions for Seasonal Sew Wardrobe Deep Stash

How are you planning your Seasonal Sew Wardrobe for our Deep Stash Edition? 
As of this posting there are already 44 member albums in the Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests group containing hundreds of great patterns! Some sewers are using their group albums to plan and track ideas, some are showing snap shots of hand written, or typed lists... at least one had fabric swatches attached! Others are typing up their lists in a post and talking it out on the group page before deciding. It's so much fun to watch!


While poking through my stash, trying to work out a sewing plan, I discovered I had a (nearly) blank copy of 110 Creations: A Sewist's Notebook. Based on what I found written inside, I had filled out a few pages in January of 2015 but never followed through on anything. What a waste! 
My Plans For SSW: Deep StashFortunately, I'd written in my notebook using a Frixon Pen (thermal ink) and so I happily erased those pages the other day and started over using my plans for Season…

My New Cardigan Love: Paro Cardigan From Itch-To-Stitch Designs

January can be a cold and bleak time for many. The rush of holiday activities is over, yet the weather is still deary and frigid. By this time, I'm pretty much tired of people and just want to snuggle up in a warm sweater with a hot beverage. 
Paro Cardigan, new TODAY from Itch to Stitch ticks all my "warm sweater" boxes.

✔ Long, but with a defined waist

✔ Front and back feminine pleats

✔ Roomy enough to wear over blouses and tee shirts

✔ Optional front closure where you can show off those over-sized buttons in your stash

Paro Cardigan is the same precise pattern you expect to see from Itch To Stitch Designs. Every notch matches and the step-by-step instructions are simple to follow. There are Lengthen & Shorten lines on all the major pattern pieces making it really easy to customize the proportions to your own figure. I removed just a couple inches from the sleeve and bottom pieces, plus a small swayback wedge, to adjust for my super short stature.
In fact, here's an e…